Musician of the western ghats

by amogh on 29/10/2009

The call of the Malabar Whistling Trush, is one of the most melodious pieces of music I’ve ever heard in nature. I’ve always wanted to photograph this bird for a long time. Photographing them can be quite challenging given that they make their homes in the deep forests of western ghats and that they are shy. Valparai is one of the best places to photograph them, as they are all around the town.

Click the play button to hear the call of the Whistling Trush

There are 22 comments in this article:

1. 29/10/2009pavitra says:

Ah! that just made my day..there isn’t a sweeter morning raga is there ?

2. 29/10/2009Anush Shetty says:

Super pic of the shy bird :-)

3. 29/10/2009Deepak Venkatesan says:

True. Just sitting in my hotel room in the middle of the Valparai town, I could spot this bird out of the window, and that too quite often.
    That’s a clear shot.

4. 29/10/2009Rachna says:

Brilliant picture and superb capture of the melodious song!! Amoghavarsha you excel yourself each time!!

5. 29/10/2009Deepa Mohan says:

“A schoolboy singing as he walks home” says the beautiful description by Salim Ali, and how true a description that is, of the call of this beautiful bird!

Lovely capture Amogh.

6. 29/10/2009Balu Hegde says:

It really “Amogha”!

7. 30/10/2009Arun says:

Beautiful image. These guys are so hard to see out in good light. Loved this one.

8. 30/10/2009Navneet Sidhu says:

Brillant.What a sighting and ofcourse the whistling……..God’s melodious composer

9. 1/11/2009Sethu says:

Simply drenches one in its sweetness.

10. 1/11/2009Jayashree says:

Missed being there when you shot this… wow the whistle is brilliant! Great work Amogh!!

amogh Reply:

There’s always a next time :)

11. 1/11/2009Nikhil says:

Amogh – awesome as ever !!

12. 25/11/2009Hrishikesh Sagar says:

superb,every one in my offfice , Didnt belive it, when i first told its bird voice.good work,both photography and Voice recording.

13. 9/03/2010Rohit Katti says:

Can’t thank you enough for posting this!
    A couple of years back during the monsoon season, my friend and I lost our way in the deep forests of the western ghats. When we heard this call, we actually rejoiced thinking that there was a human somewhere in our vicinity and that help had arrived. Now I know who that mysterious person was.

amogh Reply:

You probably should also look up the “Lyre Bird”, its quite interesting

14. 27/03/2010Shari says:

Amazing and beautiful bird .. its song is SO UNIQUE!

Excellent Capture!

15. 13/06/2010Meera says:

Amoga,

Chanced on your website thru Twitter – you are a true wildlife enthusiast. Photography is fast becoming the ‘it’ pastime in India just as the fashion design industry was a few years ago but unfortunately most are after the glamour and glitz and completely caught up in the manufactured product. You on other hand seem close to the ‘natural’ art form with a genuine and deep appreciation of our local fauna and flora. You have set yourself apart from the crowd that insists on doctoring up the shots with photoshop etc. You have a new fan – keep it up!

amogh Reply:

Thanks Meera, Infact lot of people are taking to nature and wildlife photography of late. I hope things will get only better :)

16. 30/05/2011sridhar says:

I was woken up yesterday at 5 in the morning in my hotel room at Valparai by the suprabhatham of this amazing whistler. Suspecting some intruder or a budding musician at my window landing, I was amazed to see the whistling thrush instead which flew away instantly. I wonder where it gets all the power to give out such loooong musical whistles. Simply out of the world experience!

amogh Reply:

Valparai is an excellent place to sight the bird, the usually shy bird can be seen sitting in open areas and near houses.

17. 2/07/2011Sushi says:

Awesome :)

18. 12/11/2013Hemasundar says:

I was at castleRock ,north canara Dt ,Karnataka in 1976 ,Daily i used to enjoy this whistle songs in the foggy mornings as my Rly Qrts being next to thick forest but i could not locate it as it used to stop whistling as soon as i open the window .locals told whistling snakes also in the forest. In my 5 years stay there, it was a suspense only Amoghavarsha made me happy to recollect melodious song of the bird after so many years . Now i am tempted to go there & stay in state guest House in castle rock to hear bird songs & see lion tailed monkeys (Kondamuchu ). Thanks to amoghavarsha . com .

Write a comment: