There is a plan to widen 140 roads totaling 400 km. This is how it is going to affect us :
1. Destruction of thousands of homes and businesses.
2. Cutting down of 30,000 trees resulting in a 3 degree rise in temperature.
3. Increased pollution (which is already 3 times higher than accepted norms in many places) because of the higher traffic.
4. Loss of many familiar, beloved heritage and cultural spaces.
5. The destruction of Bangalore as we know it, and its conversion into a hot, dusty, characterless city like the thousands of others around the country.
A walk called ‘Namma Raste’ is planned for Sunday, Nov. 9. It is to raise public awareness of these issues, and to get the government to rethink its traffic policy.
Date – Sunday, November 9, 2008
Time – 11:00am – 1:00pm
Location – Lalbagh West Gate
Street – RV Road